Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support.
Alright, Dave? Become Del Boy or Rodney from the classic 80s comedy series Only Fools and Horses, with one of these cushty costumes. We also have a lovely jubbly collection of accessories, including an 80s dog and bone (it’s the latest, state-of-the-art model) and an official Trotters Independent Trading T-shirt. Buy one today – you know it makes sense!
This iconic TV show, created by John Sullivan, follows the misadventures of the Trotter brothers, Del Boy and Rodney. Their distinctive looks and quirky personalities make them perfect candidates for a memorable and hilarious costume.
An Only Fools and Horses costume is ideal, of course, for 80s fancy dress parties, and also British and TV themed events.
Del Boy Only Fools and Horses Fancy Dress Costume. Includes Sheepskin style jacket, red top, flat cap, cigar and necklace.Rodney Only Fools and Horses Costume for Adults. Military camouflage jacket, mock shirt and wig.Del Boy Derek Trotter Instant Dress-Up Kit. Includes cap, chain necklace and fake cigar.Inflatable Suitcase Prop for Del Boy Costume.Inflatable 80s Mobile Brick Phone.Del Boy Only Fools and Horses Fleece Dressing Gown (Bathrobe) for Men.Trotters Independent Trading Co. T-shirt, New York, Paris, Peckham. Black and Yellow.Official Trotters Independent Traders Beanie Hat.
A Guide to Dressing Up as Del Boy and Rodney
To effectively dress up as Del Boy and Rodney, you’ll need to pay close attention to the details. Here are the essentials for both characters:
- The iconic camel-coloured, sheepskin coat: Del Boy’s long coat is one of his most recognisable features. Look for a faux-sheepskin coat in a light brown or camel color.
- A Tweed flat cap, often worn at a jaunty angle, is a must-have.
- Chunky gold jewellery: Del Boy is known for his love of bling, so accessorise with large gold rings and necklaces.
- Plain turtleneck sweater: wear under the coat for the perfect Del Boy look.
- Striped shirt and braces. For Del Boy’s YUPPIE look, opt for a white button-up shirt with thick stripes and red braces.
- Black trousers: Pair the shirt with black trousers and a brown belt.
- Brown brogues: Finish off Del Boy’s look with classic brown brogue shoes.
- Suitcase: Carry a briefcase or suitcase filled with “knock-off” goods, just like Del Boy’s infamous trade.
- Burgundy shirt. While in smart mode, Rodney often wore a brgundy button-up shirt with grey trousers. For his more casual look, opt for a chequered flannel lumberjack shirt.
- Military jacket: Complete the upper body with a camouflage jacket, preferably one with elbow patches.
- High-waisted, pleated grey trousers: For his smarter look, Rodney’s trousers should be high-waisted and a bit baggy.
- Blue jeans should be paired with a camouflage jacket for Rodney’s casual look.
- White trainers: Finish the casual Rodney look with white, scruffy trainers.
Both characters can be further enhanced with some optional accessories:
- Plastic cigar: Del Boy’s love for cigars is a defining trait, so carry a fake plastic cigar.
- Tattered leather briefcase: Del Boy’s beaten-up briefcase adds an extra layer of authenticity to your costume.
- 80s Brick phone. Del was often wheeling and dealing on an oversized 80s mobile phone.
Hair and Makeup:
To perfect your transformation into Del Boy and Rodney, pay attention to hair and makeup. Del Boy’s hair should be slicked back and styled neatly, while Rodney’s hair can be kept slightly disheveled. For makeup, exaggerate any facial features that are prominent in each character, such as Del Boy’s well-groomed appearance and Rodney’s nerdy, innocent look.
Dressing up as Del Boy and Rodney from “Only Fools and Horses” is a fantastic way to pay homage to one of the most beloved British comedy series of all time. By focusing on the essential clothing items, accessories, and hair and makeup details, you can create a costume that is sure to make everyone laugh and reminisce about the hilarious adventures of the Trotter brothers.
So, the next time you attend a costume party, remember, you’re not just dressing up; you’re stepping into the iconic world of Peckham’s most endearing wheeler-dealers. Lovely jubbly!